Friday, May 2, 2014

PBD: Picturebooks with Books as Characters



I have been working on my new column for The Reading Teacher from IRA. This column will feature picturebooks that incorporate a book into their storyline or as a character in the book. These examples above all feature postmodern or metafictive elements, in particular self-referentiality, parody, and ambiguity. I love these books! They force the reader to be more active and involved in the story and playfully expose some of the narrative conventions readers take for granted.

2 comments:

Rebecca Van Homan said...

Love this genre - and children do, too. I find they really get the 'subversive' element and the picture book is something all children understand. I like to use these kinds of books as a genre study for writers workshop, too. Thanks for these titles - I can't wait to use these in my classroom now!

Dr. Frank Serafini said...

I am putting together a new booklist for the website. I will share that with you when it's done